Below is the definition of an amateur...
Full Definition of AMATEUR- According to Merriam-Webster
: devotee, admirer
: one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport [or music] as a pastime rather than as a profession, [but hey if your devoted than your still an amateur!]
Origin of AMATEUR
French, from Latin amator lover, from amare to love
First Known Use: 1777
Related to AMATEUR
- dabbler, dilettante, hobbyist, layman
- I remember being in a music class and hearing for the first time that an amateur is a person who LOVES what they do. The current attachment to amateur as derogatory term takes away from the joy that comes from being a True Devotee of an activity. Of course I am talking about choral music and singing on this blog.
- Another professor, who now is located in Omaha, said to me "Making Music is Making a Living." That has always inspired me. Reading deep into that statement and realizing that life consists of times and experiences over material gain is both inspiring and very difficult.
- All these beautiful, wonderful singers who participate in choral ensembles because they are true "amateurs" is what really inspires me as the "professional" to be my best, and do my best for and with everyone I work.
- Lincoln Chorals Artists strive every week, and every concert, and every event to be Professional Amateurs. There are few things in life that are as rewarding as creating music in a group, live; both needing and supporting each other as devotees.
- So my message is to go out this week and be the best amateur at the thing you love as you can be!